The Piraeus Archaeological Museum operates in a modern building in Xarilaou Trikoupi Street 31, founded in 1966 and inaugurated in 1981. It consists of a two-store showroom with warehouse and laboratories located in the basement. There is a building connection to the oldest museum (built in 1935 and declared as under preservation)
The old museum has its entrance from Filellinon street and used today as a repository of sculptures. The Museum building is constructed on the north side of the archaeological site that surrounds the Zea theatre and the area around the theatre is used as the storage countryside of ancient architectural, funerary inscriptions, etc.
The transport and display at the Piraeus Archaeological museum of fine art bronze statues, discovered in Piraeus in 1959 and remained in Athens until 1983, for technical reasons ( “Kourou” or Apollon, Athena, Artemis, etc.) has given prestigious artistic interest.
Also at the Museum artefacts are displayed, primarily sculpture, found in Piraeus and the region of Attica Coast. The exhibits are representative of the history, the prosperity and decline of the ancient city and the composition of its population.
In the museum lobby (1st floor) number of objects are displayed which are associated with life and the main functions of the harbour (military and commercial). In Room 1 (1st floor) findings from excavations in recent years from the Attica coast area and the Argosaronic islands covering a wide cycle from the Mycenaean (sacred figurines from peak of Cythera, sacred offerings of Methanon) to the Hellenistic period and a rich collection of Geometric and Archaic pottery are being exhibited
In galleries 2.3 (1st floor) there is an exhibition of bronze statues found in Piraeus in 1959 and are the most important exhibits of the museum: the Archaic “Kouros” - Apollo (project of the 6th century BC), Athena, project likely of Kifisodotou the sculptor (4th century BC), the two statues of Artemis (4th century BC) and the bronze-tragic mask.
In gallery 4 (1st floor) there is an exhibition of a representation of a typical sanctuary of the classical era, the chapel with the statue of Kyvelis from Mosxato, surrounded by a series of votive sculptures from various sanctuaries in Piraeus
In gallery 5 (1st floor) there is an exhibition of an important collection of marble tomb of the 5th and 4th BC century, indicative of the path from classical to postclassical perception of anaglyph. Two unique burial monuments for the oversized Pancharous column and the Mausoleum of an emigrant from Istria, found in Kallithea, which is completely renovated. Also displayed in the same gallery is the giant lion from Mosxato
In galleries 7 and 8 (ground floor) there is an exhibition of a number of decorative neoattikon anaglyphs, destined for export to Rome that was the cargo of a ship that had sunk in the port of Piraeus
Finally in room 9 (Hellenistic and Roman art) and also on the ground floor, an overview of ancient art from the period of the decline of classical era to about the end of the Roman era, with a minor – based on the city decay - presence of Hellenistic and Roman sculptures, whilst the colossal statue of Emperor Andrianou stands out.
Note: The museum is daily opened (except Mondays) working hours are 08.30 - 15.00 and Sundays and holidays from 09.30 - 14.30 (telephone number: 45.21.598).